About the Experience
Discover the wineries at Eger, Hungary’s northernmost red-wine-producing region, known for its signature red blend (Egri Bikavér), native grape varietals, and mineral white wines.
Why you will love
- Benefit from the convenience of a round-trip transfer to and from your hotel
- Explore the wine villages of the beautiful Eger region with an expert guide
- Visit three different wineries from traditional to contemporary styles
- Learn more about Hungarian wines with 6 to 8 tastings at each winery
- Harmonize your tastings with a platter of local cheese or charcuterie
- Enjoy a delicious homemade lunch with regional specialties
Join us to experience the Hungarian wine region of Eger, and we’ll take you to some stunningly beautiful places with unique wines, and talented winemakers. We’ll visit the production areas, walk around the vineyards, and visit the aging cellars (from 500-year-old ancient hand-carved ones to the ultra-modern ones).
The tour also includes a platter of local cheese or charcuterie with one of the tastings and a traditional lunch, either homemade at the winery or at the winery-owned restaurant, where you can observe how the regional food harmonizes with the wines produced there.
Eger is Hungary’s northernmost red-wine-producing region, best known for its signature wine Egri Bikaver (“Bull’s Blood”). This traditional blend is taken seriously by local Winemakers that have improved dramatically over time compared to the Bikaver’s of the past shipped to the West in the Communist era of mass-produced wines.
On this wine tour in Eger, you’ll be able to taste different varieties of Bikaver in addition to Eger’s latest white blend, known as Egri Csillag. It will also be a chance to taste many of the single varietal wines that make up Bikavér, such as Kékfrankos, Pinot Noir, Portugieser, Merlot, and Kadarka. While Eger is most well-known in the red category, it also makes excellent white wines from local varieties like Leanyka, Kiralyleanyka, Olaszrizling and Tramini.
- Hotel Pick Up and Drop Off
- Visit 3 different wineries with an expert guide
- Tastings 6 to 8 wines at each winery
- Local cheese and charcuterie platter
- Traditional homemade lunch with regional specialties
- Personal consumption
Meeting Point: Hotel Pick Up and Drop Off – Budapest
- The tour runs rain or shine, so please check the weather forecast and come appropriately prepared, we also recommend wearing comfortable shoes
- There is a minimum of two people for the tour to happen. If this number is not reached, you'll be notified in advance to request a full refund or schedule another day
- The minimum drinking age is 18 years
- Travel to the wineries takes approximately 1.5 hours from Budapest
This booking is made under Food’n Road – Terms & Policies. The contract for the purchase is between you and the supplier as per their cancellation terms described below:
Bookings can be canceled up to 72 hours before the start of the tour with an 85% refund. Within 72 hours, all reservations are final and cannot be refunded.
No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are non-refundable. If Taste Hungary has to cancel a tour for any reason, there will be a full refund.
See what other travelers are saying about it