About the Experience
Experience Budapest’s Jewish food specialties, taste traditional (and modern) dishes and gain a deeper understanding of Hungary’s Jewish history and culture.
Why you will love
- Learn the history and culinary traditions of the Jewish-Hungarian community
- Expert guide specialized in food and very knowledgeable in Jewish history
- Walk around the seventh district, with stops at many interesting venues
- Try different foods and drinks at 4 to 6 venues
- Enjoy a full lunch based on the Jewish culinary culture
The seventh district of Budapest is an intriguing neighborhood with narrow streets packed with stunning neoclassical structures and traditional artisan workshops. It is also filled with heritage, delicious food, and a modern buzz that blends with the omnipresent spirit reminiscent of past times.
This food tour focuses on the Hungarian-Jewish history and culture, emphasizing their cuisine. You will experience the flavors, tradition, and culture of Jewish Budapest at different eateries.
The neighborhood we will visit remains the center of Jewish life in Hungary. You’ll be able to see the main synagogues (we will not always be allowed to enter), which have long been focal points of Budapest’s Jewish society.
You’ll also see the contemporary aspect of the district, including the stunning street art and murals to the beautifully designed cafes and shops. You’ll leave the tour with a full belly, as well as a deeper understanding of Hungary’s Jewish history, culture, and cuisine.
Examples of the food you will be sampling:
– Appetizers (ex. Jewish eggs or goose cracklings)
– Flódni or matzo cake with coffee
– Matzo ball soup or gulyás
– Lunch paired with wine
– Main courses (ex. sólet lecsó, or pörkölt with egg barley)
– Kosher pálinka
- Expert guide in Jewish culinary and history
- Many samples of foods and drinks in different venues
- Full lunch paired with wine
- Personal consumption
Meeting Point: Meet at Madách Imre Tér (1075 Budapest) near the statue of Sisi. For public transportation, the nearest metro station is Deak Tér (M1, M2, and M3 lines) and Astoria (M2 line), or the tram 47 or 49
- The tour runs rain or shine, so please check the weather forecast and come appropriately prepared, we also recommend wearing comfortable shoes
- There is a minimum of two people for the tour to happen. If this number is not reached, you'll be notified in advance to request a full refund or schedule another day
- The minimum drinking age is 18 years
This booking is made under Food’n Road – Terms & Policies. The contract for the purchase is between you and the supplier as per their cancellation terms described below:
Bookings can be canceled up to 72 hours before the start of the tour with an 85% refund. Within 72 hours, all reservations are final and cannot be refunded.
No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are non-refundable. If Taste Hungary has to cancel a tour for any reason, there will be a full refund.
See what other travelers are saying about it