Urab sayur is a boiled vegetable salad traditional from Indonesia. What characterizes the dish is its dressing made with grated coconut and seasonings. A refreshing dish featuring nice texture, flavour and colour.
Indonesian Coconut and Vegetable Salad
- 1 cup long beans – or green beans cut into pieces of 3 cm
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup cabbage – chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 1 red chilli – sliced
- 2 leaves kaffir lime – or the zest of 1 lime
- 1 cm ginger – grated
- 1 shallot – or ¼ onion – finely chopped
- 1 cup coconut – grated
- salt and black peper – to taste
- fresh turmeric – grated or powdered (optional)
Start by bleaching the vegetables and leaves:
- Put a pan with water and salt to boil
- As soon as it boils, add the green beans and the bean sprout. Cook it for 3 minutes.
- In the same pan add the spinach and the cabbage. Cook for another 1 minute.
- With the help of a sieve, drain the water from the pan.
- Put the sieve with the drained vegetables under cold water – this will cease the cooking. Put it aside.
Now, prepare the coconut dressing:
- Add coconut oil to a frying pan, sauté garlic, onion, grated ginger, chilli and turmeric.
- In a big bowl, mix the grated coconut with the sauteed spices.
- Add a pinch of salt and the kaffir lime leaves (or the lime zest)
- Mix it well!
Finishing the plate:
- In a bowl, mix the boiled vegetables and leaves with the spiced grated coconut
- Mix it well! The best is to use your hands, feel the food you are preparing!
- Taste it and adjust accordingly – more salt? How about a lemon juice?
- Spinach – you can use any type of kale. For a truly Indonesian taste, consider using papaya leaf or cassava leaf.
- Bean sprouts – remember that you want some crispness here – how about exploring other types of sprouts like lentils or sesame?
- This recipe is tastier with freshly grated coconut, but you can also use the leftover coconut fibre from the process of making coconut milk.
Serve it with jasmine rice + fried tofu + sour vegetables soup (Sayur Assam)