If you’re looking for a new way to make your scrambled eggs, how about trying to make Menemen? Super easy to cook, this recipe for Turkish scrambled eggs is made with simple ingredients. The mixed flavours of onion, tomato, eggs and spices combine perfectly with weekend brunch.
In Turkey, breakfast is taken seriously. During our trip around the country, we loved the tables full of dishes that make up a traditional Turkish breakfast. Among slices of bread, cheeses, jams, yoghurt, honey, there is always a small pan serving scrambled eggs with tomatoes called Menemen, the delicious Turkish version of scrambled eggs.
Cooking eggs with tomatoes is a combination that is already part of the cuisine in different cultures around the world. Who’s ever heard of Shakshuka, Huevos Rancheros, Oeufs-de-piperade? This is just to name a few.
How to cook Menemen?
In addition to eggs and tomatoes, another important ingredient for Menemen is green pepper. In Turkey, a type of green pepper, soft and long, known as Sivri Biber, is used. In our recipe, we substituted for half a green pepper.
Many Turks prefer Menemen without onion for breakfast and with onion if served as a main course (We love onions, so we always include it!).
The eggs are beaten before being placed on top of a stew made with onion, green pepper and tomato. Therefore, the appearance of the dish is quite different from that of Shakshuka.
The proper size of the pan is essential for the success of the dish. Avoid very wide frying pans for a recipe that uses few eggs. The idea is that all ingredients cook together.
Turkish scrambled eggs are served directly in the frying pan, accompanied by delicious Turkish bread. It is a very common dish for breakfast, but it can also go as lunch or dinner.
Ingredients for variations of Turkish scrambled eggs
- Menemen without onion: another classic version of the dish.
- Sausages and charcuterie: in Turkey, it is common to add chips of Sucuk or Pastırma (Pastrami type) which are two types of Turkish charcuterie. It also works with prosciutto and jamón.
- Herbs: Oregano or parsley are the most common herbs to add to your Menemen recipe.
- Spices: Taste with 7 Lebanese spices. For those who like spicy, add a little red pepper.
- Canned tomatoes: for a quick version, use peeled tomatoes or tomato paste.
- Cheese: if you add feta cheese, the dish is then called Strapatsada, which is the Greek version of the dish. If you don’t have feta cheese, you can add another cheese of your choice.
Menemen Recipe – Turkish Scrambled Eggs
- 2 tomatoes – deseeded and diced
- ½ green bell pepper – diced
- ½ onions – chopped
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Heat a medium frying pan, add olive oil and butter. Add onion and green pepper, and sauté over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, paprika, salt and ground black pepper. Cook for 8 minutes or until the tomato crumbles.
- Meanwhile, break the eggs into a bowl and beat them quickly with a fork.
- Place the beaten eggs on top of the sauteed vegetables and cook for a few seconds.
- Then, stir lightly so that the eggs are well mixed with the other ingredients in the pan.
- Cook for another 3 minutes or until the eggs are almost cooked, it finishes cooking with the heat.
- Serve while still hot.
Serve with slices of bread, some black olives and slices of cheese.