Jamu is a traditional Indonesian medicinal drink made with herbs and spices. This classic version is known as Jamu Kunyit Asam, made with turmeric and tamarind. It is very healthy with strong anti-inflammatory properties. Traditionally, Jamu is consumed in daily doses, like a tonic. It also serves as a basis for other preparations.
Jamu with Turmeric and Tamarind
- 200 g fresh turmeric
- 60 g tamarind pulp
- 4 tbsp brown sugar – or honey
- 1 litre water
- 1 pinch salt
- With the help of a spoon peel the turmeric and cut it into pieces.
- In a blender, mix the turmeric with 500ml of water until smooth into a paste.
- Squeeze the turmeric paste with the help of a cheesecloth or a strainer into a pan.
- Add the rest of the water and place the pan to boil over medium heat.
- When it boils, add the tamarind pulp, salt and the sugar or honey.
- Cook it over low heat for 15 minutes.
- Taste it, if needed, add more sugar or tamarind pulp and cook for a few more minutes.
- Turn off the heat – use a strainer to drain all the liquid from the pan and transfer the liquid to a bottle.
- Serve it hot or cold.
- We like it cold!
- You can keep the drink in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and take a shot every day in the morning and before going to sleep;
- This Jamu recipe can be adapted to your taste – add ginger, cinnamon, chilli, etc.
- If you do not have tamarind, try replacing juice with 3-4 lemons.
Prepare a drink with this jamu recipe with sparkling water and mint!