About the Experience
Enjoy a day out in Hungary's Wine Region of Somló and Lake Balaton, featuring unique wines from volcanic soils and historic wineries. You'll see stunning views, beautiful wineries, and taste exclusive wines with delicious regional cuisine.
Why you will love
- Benefit from the convenience of a round-trip transfer to and from your hotel
- Explore the villages of the beautiful Somló wine region with an expert guide
- Visit three different wineries from traditional to contemporary styles
- Learn more about Hungarian wines with 6 to 8 tastings at each winery
- Harmonize your tastings with a platter of local cheese or charcuterie
- Enjoy a delicious homemade lunch with regional specialties
The volcanic soils of these two areas produce some of the country’s most distinctive and intriguing white wines.
The tour starts by visiting a winery located on the northern side of Lake Balaton, affectionately known as the “Hungarian Sea.” The hills above the lake (which appears to change color at every angle) are covered with vineyards, lavender fields, chunks of limestone, and scenic cellars.
From Balaton, we’ll head to the Somló wine region, which consists of vineyards covering the hill, an extinct volcano. It’s Hungary’s smallest wine region, like a secret garden full of untouched vineyards and crumbling old houses. A fortified castle is perched on top of the hill, and there are three Medieval churches. Visiting Somló is a non-touristy experience, offering a super local experience and exciting new flavors.
The main wines produced in Somló are made from native Hungarian varietals such as Furmint, Olaszrizling, Hárslevelu, and Juhfark. Juhfark. These grapes grow almost nowhere else and make up the region’s signature wine (also called “wedding night wine”). Once you try a wine from Somlo, the saying goes, you will forever recognize their taste. They are meant to be aged, tend to be elegant, high in alcohol, acidic, and with lots of minerality.
Join us to experience the Hungarian wine region of Somló and Lake Balaton, and we’ll take you to some stunningly beautiful places with unique wines, and talented winemakers. We’ll visit the production areas, walk around the vineyards, and visit the aging cellars (from 500-year-old ancient hand-carved ones to the ultra-modern ones).
The tour also includes a platter of local cheese or charcuterie with one of the tastings and a traditional lunch, either homemade at the winery or at the winery-owned restaurant, where you can observe how the regional food harmonizes with the wines produced there.
- Hotel Pick Up and Drop Off
- Visit 3 different wineries with an expert guide
- Tastings 6 to 8 wines at each winery
- Local cheese and charcuterie platter
- Traditional homemade lunch with regional specialties
- Personal consumption
Meeting Point: Hotel Pick Up and Drop Off – Budapest
- The tour runs rain or shine, so please check the weather forecast and come appropriately prepared, we also recommend wearing comfortable shoes
- There is a minimum of two people for the tour to happen. If this number is not reached, you'll be notified in advance to request a full refund or schedule another day
- The minimum drinking age is 18 years
- Travel to the wineries takes approximately 2 hours from Budapest
This booking is made under Food’n Road – Terms & Policies. The contract for the purchase is between you and the supplier as per their cancellation terms described below:
Bookings can be canceled up to 72 hours before the start of the tour with an 85% refund. Within 72 hours, all reservations are final and cannot be refunded.
No shows are treated as last-minute cancellations and are non-refundable. If Taste Hungary has to cancel a tour for any reason, there will be a full refund.
See what other travelers are saying about it
Why book with us
Private or Shared
from € 74