About the Experience
The Pecorino and Ricotta Cheese Making experience is a unique educational opportunity with an Abruzzo cheesemaker. Enjoy making cheese while learning the secrets of ancient shepherds' art in Abruzzo, near Rome. This experience will introduce you to cheesemaking techniques and allow you to make your own cheese.
Why you will love
- Learn everything about cheesemaking: the traditions, history, and cooking tips
- Enjoy a tasting with our local cheeses, olive oil, bread, cured meats, and wine
- Discover the beautiful countryside of the Teramo province in Abruzzo
- We will also take you to visit the ‘Scala Santa’ in the beautiful hamlet of Campli village
After a short scenic drive, we will reach the countryside towards Giuseppe’s farm. Giuseppes’ family has been producing cheese and breeding animals for over three generations on his family farm near Teramo in the Abruzzo Apennines.
We will first meet Giuseppe, his family, and then we’ll start cutting the curd. Next, we jump into the molding and making of the famous Pecorino cheese shapes.
After this challenging and fun experience, we will do some tastings of our cheeses with extra virgin olive oil, other home-produced delis and taste wine.
The next step is to see the farm animals while waiting for the ricotta cheese to reach the desired temperature. There are cows, sheep, goats, and the Pastori Abruzzesi, an Abruzzo shepherd’s dog. We also have a chance to see the breathtaking panorama of the Gran Sasso & Monti Della Laga National Park with its medieval hilltop villages.
When the ricotta is ready, you can savor and enjoy the freshest ricotta cheese directly at the source. This is the best Organic Ricotta from Abruzzo you can find.
The day ends with you being able to take the ricotta out of the pot by yourself!
We will provide Cheese & local products such as:
- A selection of cheeses (at least 3);
- Home-produced Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil;
- Dried meat i.e. Salami;
- Artisanal Bread;
- Drinks & Local wine;
- Cheesemaking experience in Abruzzo's family-owned farm
- Tastings of local specialties including cheese, bread, olive oil, cured meat, and wine
- Visit the 'Scala Santa' in a Campli village
- Optional wine tasting in a neighbor winery
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (available at an extra fee)
Meeting Point: Teramo 64100, Province of Teramo Italy. More information on your confirmation email
- We will be at an artisanal cheesemaking factory. Please, bring comfortable clothing and easily washable shoes
- Travel needs can be accommodated for an extra fee directly with the operator
- The farm is located on the hills in the green countryside of the National Park Gran Sasso and Monti della Laga. It is a great place to visit the entire region, with easy access to the mountains and rivers, waterfalls and canyons, hidden medieval towns, vineyards, olive trees, and just 20 minutes from the beach. We're happy to recommend the best places in the Abruzzo region if you have a few days to spare
This booking is made under Food’n Road – Terms & Policies. The contract for the purchase is between you and the supplier as per their cancellation terms described below:
Cancellation notice up to 24 hours in advance will be entitled to a full refund;
Customers who fail to show up without prior notice will be charged in full.
See what other travelers are saying about it